Monday, February 21, 2011

Leadership Portfolio Month 1: Executive Leadership


LP Assignment: Identify strengths and weaknesses in my leadership traits


For this assignment I took a Leader Skills Assessment to identify my leadership traits (both strong and weak) from the book “Developing the Leader Within You” by John C. Maxwell. I learned that my strong traits were: priorities, integrity, self-discipline, vision, creating positive change, influence and attitude. My weaknesses were problem solving, people and staff development. Upon learning my traits, I was able to analyze them and formulate a plan to strengthen my weaker traits. I executed my plan through leadership activities (along with the Leadership Portfolio assignments) I participated in throughout the program like:

- Get involved with an on-campus AND off-campus organization
- Join a committee and/or executive board
- Get familiar with everybody in the chosen organization
- Recruit people I think would be an asset to the organization
- Chair an event


1st & 2nd Leadership Activities: Joined the Black Student Union and served as Public Relations and Marketing Chair





Logo designed by Bill Hudson


I found this organization (BSU) through Propeller and attended a general body meeting. Little did I know that they were going to hold elections that day or that I would become an executive member at my first meeting. Nonetheless, being involved on campus has always been important to me so I stepped up to the plate, as the organization needed my help. So without hesitation I became BSU’s Public Relations and Marketing Chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment