Monday, February 21, 2011

Leadership Portfolio Month 5: Negotiation and Deal-making


LP Assignment: Interview a professional negotiator in the entertainment industry


 

For this assignment I interviewed DJ PC, who is a radio DJ for 94.3 FM WKUF in Flint, MI. Aside from being a DJ, he has been in many scenarios where negotiations take place like: local showcase venues, radio interviews and at the time he was working on a deal with Fontana Universal Music Group. We talked about some of his essential values and techniques to being a successful dealmaker. From this interview I learned that I have very similar values as DJ PC when negotiating and handling business. However, I also learned the importance of planning before approaching negotiations so that I am never going into the situation blindly and to know exactly what I plan to take away from the negotiation. I also learned that I should never expect to get a “NO” from the other party, I should always go into the meeting confident and expect to get exactly what I came for if not more. And most importantly, I learned that communication is important. Body language, speaking clearly, listening and building a rapport are the foundational tools to being successful in negotiating.

No comments:

Post a Comment