Monday, February 21, 2011

Leadership Portfolio Month 7: Advanced Entertainment Law

LP Assignment: Interview a law professional in the entertainment industry



I interviewed Shannon A. Ligon, Esq., she is the managing member of Ligon Law Group, member of the Florida Bar and she is apart of many other related organizations that keep her tapped into the various areas of the law industry. This industry was not a strong suit of mine, nor was I very interested in it. This resulted in being curious about a lot of things involving Shannon’s reasons for choosing this career path and learning as much as I could about something I had very little knowledge of. I learned a lot about Shannon and how she got her start, her shining moments, her challenges, the people in entertainment she has worked with and even some of the rates she charges for service. The advice I took away from the interview were things like: gain hands on experience, network, build credibility and stay up to date on my industry of choice (whether through books, websites, looking at contracts, etc.)



3rd and 4th Leadership Activities: Became the Black Student Union’s Vice President and hosted panel discussion with The Nappy Roots 



This was also the month that I transitioned from Public Relations and Marketing Chair of BSU (Black Student Union) to the position of Vice President. By this time I was well adjusted to the new campus, the people, the program and BSU. It was my time to step into a higher rank and that is exactly what I did. Upon my transition, we were given the opportunity to host a campus wide panel discussion featuring the well-known hip-hop group “Nappy Roots”. Students were allowed to ask questions they were anxious to know the answer to straight from an industry source. We also allowed photos and light conversation with the group after the panel discussion. 






No comments:

Post a Comment